Thursday, May 13, 2010

Day 6

Short daily report…we left Page, AZ this morning and spent some time climbing around the red rocks around Lake Powell. We were scheduled to head a few hours away to Zion National Park in Utah. We all voted our ‘best lunch yet’ at a restaurant right outside the national park called The Thunderbird. We spent the afternoon enjoying another one of God’s phenomenal wonders, as we hiked along the river looking upwards at the massive rocky canyons. It was a beautiful day for horseback riding so the girls enjoyed an hour trail ride before heading out to our night stay in Las Vegas. Not too into the Vegas scene, but it was worth driving the strip to realize ‘why’, before hitting the hay at the Circus, Circus hotel. Up and at it again tomorrow as we hit the road again to another exciting destination!!
































It seems fitting on this day, to mention a few random things about our trip that may not have been told while recording our daily travel details. Here are some noteworthy facts….

David has driven all the time except for 2 times. On the 1st day I took the wheel for about 100 miles before St. Louis and on day 3, I helped out and drove 50 miles. Emily hasn’t driven at all but David would actually rather drive unless he just gets really tired. There has been so much to take in that nobody wants to get sleepy for fear we’ll miss the beauty! On another side note, I am wondering if Emily is waiting to ‘volunteer’ to drive when we get to the Pacific Coast Highway on day 12. That makes my next fact even more amazing. We have logged about 2951 miles thus far.

Another fact, we have been keeping track of license plates we have seen so far on our trip. We have seen 34 states, leaving 16. We have been most amazed at spotting one license plate from Hawaii and three from Alaska. Those somehow seem to be worth a few bonus points I would think.

My family would like for me to state this fact. They say that I have exclaimed, shouted, and even cried out, ‘Oh my goodness’ more than 5000 times it seems. As all I can say now is, it won’t take long before that number changes! I am forever grateful for all that He is showing us all!!


Posted by: Cheryl

6 comments:

Austin said...

I am smiling to myself as I picture you saying "Oh my goodness". Sounds like a wonderful wonderful trip. Sooo glad you are all enjoying it. Although we miss you, we are in awe of the Lord's kindnesses to the Elliott Family. (from Julie, but written on Austin's account!)

Anonymous said...

It didn't sound like Austin...haha=)

I miss you guys already!! I know you're having a great time and all, but - hurry back!!

=)
~mee

kbelle said...

tell the girls it could be worse ... they could be traveling with mrs. bell. just think how SHE would be carrying on! she gets excited about little things like pizza dip (smile) can you imagine how beside myself she'd be ?!?!

kbelle said...

tell the girls it could be worse ... they could be traveling with mrs. bell. just think how SHE would be carrying on! she gets excited about little things like pizza dip (smile) can you imagine how beside herself she'd be ?!?!

Julie said...

Any license plates from Canada?

cheryl said...

Yes...Saskatchewan, British Columbia and Ontario. Sophie thought she saw a 'China' one, but after walking up close to verify her impossible find, it was good 'ole Utah.